VMware Fusion 2.0.1 Gets Performance Boost
VMware has released an update to Fusion, its desktop virtualization solution for Mac OS X. The latest release, version 2.0.1, which began shipping Friday, includes a number of resolved issues
, performance enhancements and other improvements, as well as compatibility updates for the latest Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro systems.
Fusion 2.0.1 includes several performance fixes associated with CPU utilization, boot times and load times. Other improvements include:
- Improvements to sharing, including nested folders and publishing Windows guest applications to Mac;
- A change to AutoProtect that postpones taking a snapshot when the user is working with the virtual machine;
- Hints enabled in the Help menu;
- Improvements to the Unity view; and
- A fix for running 3D applications (including games and Google Earth with 3D acceleration) on new MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air systems.
A complete list of fixes (and remaining known issues) can be found in VMware's release notes here.
VMware Fusion 2.0.1 is available now as a free download for all users (including users of Fusion 1.x, who are eligible for a free upgrade to 2.x). It requires Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5 and Intel-based Mac hardware. Downloads and further information can be found here.
About the Author
Dave Nagel is the executive editor for 1105 Media's educational technology online publications and electronic newsletters.