NetApp Updates Virt and Cloud Products with VMware Integrations
- By Scott Bekker
NetApp is offering new hybrid and private cloud solutions for VMware platforms.
Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company unveiled four new products and a service in connection with the VMworld 2019 conference held late last month. The solutions span hybrid cloud, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) requirements.
"As a result of our ongoing partnership with VMware, we offer breakthrough management solutions for virtual infrastructure, private cloud, public cloud and desktop virtualization -- in any cloud, in one experience -- that offer superb simplicity for high-performance, complex environments," Brett Roscoe, vice president, Product Management, NetApp Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, said in a statement.
The product enhancements and additions include:
- NetApp Kubernetes Service (NKS) on VMware: The update to NKS adds a fully managed Kubernetes service on VMware vSphere. According to NetApp, NKS is much more flexible on VMware infrastructure, with support for role-based access control, application lifecycle management, multicloud configurations and hybrid cloud configurations.
- NetApp HCI for VDI: New GPU-enabled nodes are optimized to accelerate performance for 3D virtual desktop infrastructure environments, such as medical imaging or CAD/CAM.
- NetApp HCI for VDI with VMware Horizon 7: Another new solution, NetApp HCI for VDI with VMware Horizon 7, is designed for easy installation and expansion of capabilities and independent addition of storage and compute.
- H615C: A new compute node is part of NetApp's GPU portfolio and is designed for technical and scientific apps.
- NetApp HCI Implementation Service for VMware Private Cloud: This is the service in the new batch of offerings covers implementation of NetApp HCI on VMware private cloud infrastructure.
NetApp describes the NetApp HCI Implementation Service for VMware Private Cloud service as a "turnkey acquisition and implementation service [that] delivers the expertise to build a scalable, preconfigured and easily consumable private cloud -- with the simplicity and convenience of NetApp HCI and the power of a VMware-based private cloud-- that is application ready for critical workloads."
More on NetApp's product lines can be found here.
Scott Bekker is editor in chief of Redmond Channel Partner magazine.