ControlUp Update Adds Native Integration with VMware Horizon
ControlUp this week announced version 8.1 of its flagship IT management and monitoring solution, which adds native integration with VMware Horizon and better scalability among other enhancements.
The monitoring software specialist touted the integration with Horizon, a leading virtual desktop infrastructure (VDIs) offering that last month was updated to version 7.11, as providing significant benefits to Horizon administrators.
"With ControlUp 8.1, Horizon administrators get full-stack visibility to their Horizon environment, starting with the hypervisor hosting the VMs all the way down to the end users' processes. In other words, seamless management of their Horizon environment, from a single pane of glass–the ControlUp console," said the company in a Jan. 9 blog post by Tom Fenton, who also writes for Virtualization & Cloud Review.
Benefits to IT admins are said to include:
- Automatic discovery of Horizon components in standard and Cloud Pod architecture
- Seamless association of Horizon components with entities from different data sources such as hypervisors and in-guest agents for complete line-of-sight from infrastructure to process.
- Seamless aggregation of Horizon data with existing hypervisors and in guest metrics
- Connection server health status & license monitoring
- Built-in object view for Horizon sMachines & Session
- Enhanced Session monitoring with Horizon performance metrics
- Horizon-focused presets for Horizon Pods, Connection Servers, Pools, Machines, and Sessions views
Another highlight of the update as outlined in another blog post is scalability of the real-time monitor for up to 100,000 machines, as the solution gathers data in 3-second intervals from hypervisors, end-user computing (EUC) environments and machines with ControlUp installations.
"With much intense thought and some imaginative rearchitecting, ControlUp 8.1 delivers high scalability without losing the simplicity and ease of use you know and love," the company said while detailing technological approaches such as data aggregation and clustered monitors powering the scaling functionality behind the scenes.
In a Jan. 28 news release, Asaf Ganot, ControlUp co-founder and CEO, said, "Until now, ControlUp has placed more emphasis on enabling control and optimization of Citrix environments. In the last year, however, we have seen an increasing number of new customers buy ControlUp to manage Horizon, and many of our customers now manage EUC environments that include Citrix and Horizon. This release will allow us to provide a powerful platform that serves both markets."
David Ramel is an editor and writer for Converge360.